Thursday, February 15, 2007

Unix Commands/Global Swarming

In lab 5, I learn to use the Unix commands on steel. One of them was a command chsh. I have previously used the steel account, I didn't know about the shells. In this lab, I have learn that there are different types of shells and that we can change them by using the command chsh. Also, when I used steel, I didn't know it has information on me already stored inside the system. By using the command, whoami, I can look up information on myself or I can even look up someone who is also on the steel account that I know by using the command, finger. In addition, I learn the command, ls, which lists all the directories and the files I have in the directories. By, adding a - and a letter(s), I can bring up specific lists of certain things. One command that I thought was interesting was that I can look up a calender from a previous year or even in the future. By using the command, cal, and the month and year, I can bring up the calender of that month in that year. According to the lab, these commands do not work with Windows/DOS counterparts. Some of the commands that are used with Unix are much more simple on Windows. For example, to find my directories, I click on my computer and from there I can find all of my files and folders. Also, to remove something, I drag and drop the file to the trash can or simply click delete instead of using the command, rm. On Windows, I can easily bring up the calender by clicking on a few buttons. Therefore, Windows commands are much easier than Unix.

In Andy Clark's "Global Swarming," I think that it was interesting how he compares the cyber world to slug trails. I think that he is right, that we are like the slugs leaving information about ourselves, for other people to use their information for their benefit as well as ours. This process also makes online shopping easier for the consumers. By collecting all the data from other people who like simliar things, they are able to create a lists of other related things people with the same taste would like. This concept also works with a lot of other things like search engines, social networking websites, etc. By having this recommendation system, the websites are able to quickly deliever the results that the users are looking for and filter all the unnecessary information. The concept of "Global Swarming" is effecting all types of technologies, from games to GPS systems. Sooner or later the technological world will be able to adapt to our specific charateristcs.

No comments: